India Kishmish - Style is just about being yourself and experimenting with trends – how many designers and celebrities have fed you with this twaddle in modest interviews? However when it comes to style, they know as well as us honest folks know that there are some hard-and-fast rules to the art of dressing. Looking good isn’t just accidental, it’s a process. We give you 10 style imperatives that will help you master the craft
1. Loose suit: You bought a handsome and rather expensive suit and when you tried it on, you just looked a bit… eh in it. That’s because even the best suit – top brands included – requires to be fitted to your exact measurements. Our tip: While trying on a suit, keep going down a size in the jacket until it gets uncomfortable. Then go one size up and buy that. Emgrace your tailor – even when you get your perfect size you will need to decrease your pants length and slim down the suit according to your shoulders and waist size.
2. Matching socks: It isn’t black socks for black shoes and brown socks for brown, your socks should match your suit or pants. So if you are wearing a grey suit with black shoes, go for grey socks in a shade that’s slightly darker.
3. Tie length: The tip of your tie should never hang below the waistline of your pants, anything above or below that is the wrong length. Go for a tie in a tougher silk so the knot is big and handsome. It should measure about three inches at its widest part.
4. Obese wallet: Clean out your wallet regularly or buy yourself a new slim leather beauty which will only hold a limited amount of cards and ATM slips – and do you really to carry them all around all the time? A fat bulging wallet is an eyesore, it's time you put it on a diet.
5. Wrong belt: The width of your belt should be between an inch and an inch and a half, and the buckle should be subtle. Smell the belt – if it smells buttery, chances are it’ll age better.
6. Tux: The fabric of your tie should match the lapels of your suit and should always, we repeat, always be black.
7. Pants length: Your office pants are not your jeans, they shouldn’t be bundling up at the ankles. They should be falling straight till 1/4th of your shoe is covered sans crease.
8. Undershirts: You can skip these all together, but if your chest looks like a bear's and you tend to perspire a lot, opt for a crewneck which will blend in best with your outfit. A v-neck will only stand out.
9. Wrong fit jeans:Most mens get their jeans wrong. High-waisted white-washed jeans are dorky and the low rise baggy variety which show-off your boxers are better suited to your nephew. Buy yourself a medium-rise pair of denims which sit on your hips, follow your legs (instead of saddle bagging out from your waist) and form-fit to you as you break them in.
10. Adult sneakers: Sure sneaker,s are trendy but only if you are wearing the grown-up versions. Go for a classy pair somewhere in between the geeky Seinfeld variety and the snazzy Jay-Z look-alikes.