The wedding season is on in full swing. With it come glitz, glamour, the bridal trousseau—and the very important bridal shoes. Say hello to the big fat Indian wedding shoes!
Shwetha Sharon is a stylist and designer from Hyderabad with a flagship store of her own. We speak to her about the importance of wedding shoes, and she chooses the top 10 shoes that you can wear on your D-day. Here is what she has to say.
1. Tell our brides-to-be about the trendiest and most comfortable shoes to include in their wedding attire.
This is the era of fabulous chic heels. From side cuts to spikes, leather embossments to interesting prints, heels are a must-have. I personally like the ankle straps with rhinestones on them. Brides can opt for jewels and beads too.
Chanel never fails to impress. They also offer some drool-worthy and very amazing flat shoes, along the lines of comfortable sneakers. So I vouch for Chanel to begin with!
2. What other quirky brands would you recommend to our brides-to-be?
The next brand that comes to my mind is the peep-toe Fantastic Footwear by Gucci. It offers finesse, style and comfort.
Another shoe brand I lust after is Dolce & Gabbana. Its shimmery textures and jewelled or beaded surfaces woo a lot of girls.
I would also ask readers to check out the latest stilettos by Erdem. They are quirky and comfortable to wear under the wedding gown. Brands like Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choo, Louis Vuitton, Brian Atwood, Alice +Olivia and Alexander McQueen offer the best cocktail shoes as well.
3. Weddings are hectic! Can you share a few tips the bride should keep in mind while picking shoes for her big day?
Wedding shoes can make or break your D-Day. Diligence is a must when picking heels, because the body weight shifts towards the front which forces a lot of pressure on the foot, especially the toes. You do not want to ruin the most glamourous and important event of your life now, do you? Hence, stick to moderate heels instead of very high ones (especially if you are a novice at heels). Moderate heels give you comfort and style.
Here’s a little secret I would like to share. You’ve heard of the saying “shop till you drop”, right? That’s how you pick bridal shoes. Shop for shoes when you are done with everything else and when your feet are tired and swollen. The shoes that fit now are the ones you need, because this is how your feet will feel on D-Day when you have to move around to meet and greet everyone.
You can also pick cushioned heels that secure the toes and do not compromise on quality. Cheap replicas of branded shoes are a no-no!
4. Which are the top shoe brands that brides should consider?
I feared this question, because shoes are very special for girls like me. But here are my top choices:
- Jimmy Choo - A brand well known for its iconic style. Jimmy Choos are a perfect fit for cocktail parties, the reception, sangeet, mehendis, church rehearsals and even for your wedding night.
- Brian Atwood - Brides-to-be take note; you need to put your best foot forward. And, doing that with plenty of grace and a subtle hint of sexiness and sensuality? Woot-woot! Get ready to be the talk of the town.
- Christian Louboutin - Who hasn’t dreamt of owning a pair of these puppies? They are classy, elegant and stylish. They are excellent for lehenga cholis and sarees or even long flowing gowns.
- Alexander McQueen - Every girl should have a pair of these. They are chic, comfortable and perfect withsarees, gowns or lehengas.
5. What are the must-have shoes for the honeymoon?
If you like to travel light, a pair of funky flats with prints or a stylish pair of sandals would be the best to carry. It also depends on where you and your husband would be honeymooning. So, pick accordingly, because you wouldn’t want to wear wedges while trekking, right?
6. Can you share a few brands that women should consider in different price ranges?
Under Rs 3000, Lavie, Catwalk, Ronnie Grey, Inc.5, Footilicous and Bruno Manetti are the best options.
If you can splurge between Rs 8,000 to Rs 25,000, you should go for Aldo, Clarks, Steve Madden, and Mango.
Finally, if you have an entire bank account to spare—say above Rs 25000—then Gucci, Jimmy Choos, Christian Louboutins, Miu Miu, Stuart Weitzam, Brain Atwood, Alexander McQueen and Manolo Blahnik are the must-haves.
7. What's the ultimate advice when it comes to wearing heels at all-night parties?
Please wear moderate heels. I cannot emphasise enough on the comfort factor. You will still be able to make a statement with moves on the floor, should you choose to dance!
8. How should one go about picking the right heels?
Just keep these following pointers in mind:
- Different brands have different sizes for any feet, so measure your feet first
- Heels should have rubber layers
- Ankle straps aren’t meant for women with large ankles
- Strappy shoes aren’t meant for women with short legs
- For the foot to look long and slim, peep-toe heels are best to wear
- Shop for shoes at the end of the day, when your feet are swollen